The Old Paramus Reformed Church in Ridgewood has three public buildings on its site, the church, the education building, and the Schoolhouse Museum, as well as the historic churchyard cemetery and the parsonage. As a whole they form the Paramus Reformed Church Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. Our event will take place in the education building and the museum. (650 and 660 E. Glen Avenue, Ridgewood, NJ)
The Schoolhouse was built in 1872 and used as a school until 1905. It is home of the Ridgewood Historical Society and will be the site of the coverlet exhibit on October 1-2.
The modern education building houses the church offices, a nursery school, a fellowship hall and a parlor. The quilts will be displayed in the fellowship hall.
The church was built in 1800, replacing an earlier building that was heavily damaged during the Revolutionary War. Paramus was on a north-south route at a critical crossing of the Saddle River. More church history. (The current borough of Paramus is south and east of historic Paramus.)
Churchyard Burying Ground
Many of the areas earliest settlers are buried here. There are many vernacular fieldstone markers, as well as sandstone and marble markers.
Peggy W. Norris